In June of 1870, the Delaware Presbyterian Church was formed from two churches, in accordance with an Act passed by the Ohio Legislature. Joseph S. Hughs, a graduate from Pennsylvania, organized the First Presbyterian Church in 1810, with 14 members. In 1815, the congregation began using the worship facilities provided by the county in its new courthouse.
President John Quincy Adams attended church services there. Hughs sadly passed away during the epidemic of 1823 after having served for 13 years, and was succeeded by another Pennsylvania resident, Henry Van Deman, a full-fledged Presbyterian minister. Klein served about eight years and, during his pastorate, the first church was built around 1834, on the corner of William and Henry Streets, the site now occupied by the German Reformed Church. The African Methodist Episcopal Church of Delaware is also doing its part to faithfully serve its community and is currently in a prosperous situation. Of these first pastors, Davis and Devine have passed away, and two, Brown and Shorter, are now bishops of the church.
In the early years of this period, the joint ownership of the church on the corner of William and Henry Streets was dissolved; and a new stone church on William Street was built in 1852, which has been occupied by the congregation ever since. From the moment of its organization, the Reformed congregation occupied the church built in 1834, as did the Lutherans. For example, there was Russel Bigelow, famous in Christian polemics and powerful in his eloquence, who moved his listeners as he pleased and took them wherever he wanted. In March 1854, the company bought land on North Franklin Street; and a church building was erected here which opened on August 1st 1858. Perhaps no church has been more favored in terms of its pulpit ministry than William Street. Not only because its regular ministers have been men of an exceptional type in skill or prominence; but also because quite often throughout all these years very eminent theologians were at his sacred desk - men more than ordinary in talent and culture - that from tongues of fire uttered words full of heavenly anointing. That conference appointed John Quigley to organize a church in southern Delaware with the purpose of more fully occupying that part of the city and accommodating resident members. John Barth, a German pastor from Columbus traveled through Delaware and Marion counties and sought out Germans for the benefit of Methodist Church.
The church was not finished until sometime in summer of 1847; two additional subscriptions were made to continue and complete the work. Paul's Church; and in 1860 it had something to do with origin and formation of Grace Church. By 1772 they had founded Ohio's first village Schoenbrunn (“beautiful spring”) in what is now Tuscarawas County; built territory's first Christian church and school; established Ohio's first civil code. Jackson who was both a church lawyer and a pulpit orator; in 1867 William Davidson an energetic man and fervent Christian; in 1868 William B.